Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Worth it

(By LPC)

Ellie is sick.

I am sick.

We are sick, and in bed trying to take a nap. Okay, SHE is trying to take a nap, but even though her little body is fighting a virus by taking up a healthy dose of fever, and although her eyes are red and glossy, she is trapped in the body of a two-year old. This means her ever growing body and mind is loving life to it's fullest, even when she is sick. So no matter how many times I tell her to close her eyes and go to sleep, it is useless. She is so full of excitment and happiness as she wiggly lies on the bed and sings all of the songs she knows - which is a lot. She gets up and then crashes down on me. She slams her plastic doll's face into mine. She has to find "bun bun" which requires us getting up and taking the bed covers off the bed in an ernest search. She wants to lie head towards the end of the bed - wait! No! Head at the top of the bed, but with no covers. Okay, I change her mind when I tell her she is sick and needs covers - this lasts for less than sixty seconds. After an hour I feel my self starting to lose patience, but I cannot find it in me to get stern with a delightful child so full of life and joy.

I look her in the eyes and tell her, yet again, it is time for "nigh, nigh". She may not totally believe me, but her droppy red eyes certainly do. As she settles at the top of my pillow with my head below her, I can feel the rapid beat of her heart. She takes her hand and pets my head over and over - wide messy hair-pulling strokes. I look up and her eyes are closed. She is still "brushing" my hair. Suddenly her hand is still and she does her falling asleep "jerky" body movements.

It took over an hour to get her to sleep. Small price to pay for that small moment of tenderness.

I love her more than life itself.


-lpc

6 comments:

Jess(ica) said...

That is so cute!

On a side note, it is too bad kids don't appreciate all the naps they get because when they are adults, naps are never "forced" on us like when we were kids. haha

Four peas in a pod said...

I agree. They have no idea!

Anonymous said...

she looks so sweet sleeping!!! also looks like she has a temp....hope you both will be feeling better real soon...Lori, I hope you get to the Dr. your cold has been hanging on much to long!!! love ya

3dingsandadog said...

Too sweet. Too bad Ellie couldn't take your pic that day...lol

Hope you all feel better..

Four peas in a pod said...

Mom, I went to the doc yesterday and my lungs are clear. No fever.
I guess it's just a bad season for me. Irritating viruses coming and going - but no serious damage!

Barbara, very very funny! Ha Ha, I bet you can hear me laughing all the way out there.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it break your heart to see her sick? Still, she manages to look adorable even with glazed eyes and red cheeks. What a love!