Friday, June 13, 2008

OB visit

At my OB visit today, I had my suspicions confirmed - this is one big baby.

My OB was feeling the baby and asked how big Ellie was when she was born. My response was, "I think I know where this is going!". I explained to her that Ellie was 8 lbs 9 oz and that I was concerned about how big this one would be. The OB said that she thinks this baby is about that big NOW. She went on to explain that at this point, babies gain about half a pound a week until birth. Now I was a math major so I quickly calculated that if this baby is already 8 1/2 lbs and I have 2 1/2 weeks until my due date....hmmm, I could have a 10 lb baby! When I asked her what I or we should do (because I really don't want to have a C-section if I can avoid it), she said, "Well, let's just hope you go into labor within the next week or so. We'll see where you are next Friday if the baby hasn't come yet."

Uh oh.

I can't have the baby next week! I still have 2 1/2 weeks left - they promised! I still have so much to do at work before I go on leave. For goodness sakes, I just left the paperwork with my OB today that I need completed so that I can actually take maternity leave. There is so much to be done around the house before the baby comes. There aren't enough meals in the freezer. I'm not ready to manage two little ones yet. I'm going to miss having tons of time with just Ellie. My mom doesn't finish school until the end of this week and we will need her help.

Double uh oh.

Realistically I know the baby will come when it's ready, 10 lbs or not. I also know that I will never be really ready for it to happen. So now with every Braxton-Hicks, I think, is this it???

And you know what? I'm really excited.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder you looked like you were going to have more than one....hope you have her soon...real soon....

Anonymous said...

I am so happy and proud of you! You have had a good pregnancy in spite of so many things. Your attitude has been positive, and I think you will take that attitude into being the mama of TWO beautiful and amazing little girls. Both of you have taken what has come with a sense of humor and love. I just can't wait to see our newest girl.

Four peas in a pod said...

Hmmmmmm......

Maybe we shouldn't have picked a
6'3" donor.

:-0