Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fantastic Find!

Dumpster diving. Garbage picking. No matter what you call it, we all know what it is. And we all know people who do it. Neither of us has ever done it before.


Until today.


We were driving down a main four-lane road in our town this morning on our way to work when Lori and I both noticed a quick blur out of the corner of our eye - is that a bassinet? did you see that? should we turn around? We turned around and pulled into the driveway of a home where we saw a wooden cradle bassinet sitting out with the trash. Lori told me to to check it out and see if it was in good shape. So I walked into someone's front yard to examine the bassinet. And sure enough it was in perfect shape!


We were both a little embarrassed to get out of the car and actually take it. I can only imagine what we looked like - a pregnant woman loading her station wagon with a bassinet from someone's trash! It barely fit in our trunk, but it did fit with a little shoving and maneuvering. After work this afternoon, we ran the fabric covers through the washer and dryer and then we disinfected (multiple times!) the plastic and wooden parts of the cradle itself. It now sits in our living room waiting for the baby girl who will use it. Ellie had already had a good time of "helping" us fix it and then rocking her baby in it. (After we took the screwdriver away, she said, "When I'm a grown up, I go to Home Depot by myself...and buy tools!")


It looks pretty good, doesn't it?? And I still can't believe that it was FREE!!








5 comments:

Rebecca said...

That would have been a steal of a deal if you had been able to get it for $50, but free?!.. .WOW!

I'd say there is no shame in dumpster diving for a treasure like this. . . it's when you're chasing empty soda cans and left-over McDonald hamburgers that I'll start to worry =)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a find! I think it was meant for you too. And Ellie, of course. I am sure that Abbie and Ekinee will enjoy it until the new little doodlebug arrives. Isn't she Boppa's granddaughter????? She already wants to go to Home Depot to buy tools!!! No! No! Boppa will get them at a discount!!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to add another "WOW" to taht find!!! looks nice...reminds me of one like that I had for Judi after she was born...just the right size for a newborn..

johnna said...

It's beautiful. Are you sure it was meant to be FREE? Could it possibly be that the owners were just airing it out -awaiting their own bundle of joy- and accidently set it too close to the trash? What if you'd been shot at? Or arrested and charged with Grand Theft, Bassinet?
I worry about these things...
;-)

Jess(ica) said...

Wow, what a great find!!! It's beautiful, too!