Monday, September 24, 2007

The little things...

Obviously everyone knows that their baby is going to grow up and become a toddler, a kid, a teenager (gasp!), and someday a full-fledged adult (double gasp!). It's when you see, or in my case hear, it happening that it becomes real. One of Ellie's first words was "la la" which meant Elmo. If you watch Elmo, you know that's because Elmo's opening song on Sesame Street is "la la la la, la la la la, Elmo's World". About a month ago, though Ellie switched to calling him "Elmo", which sounds a lot like oatmeal. It happened so suddenly that I don't remember the first time that she did it, but it signalled an end of something.

Today's change though I did notice and will remember. Ellie asked for milk and I offered her water. Normally her response would be "yes, wa wa" and I would then prompt her to say please. Instead, today she looked at me and with great focus it seemed said, "yes, waaaaa-teerrrr". What?!? Water?!? I was so startled that I didn't even ask for the please before handing her the cup. Later this evening she asked for wa wa as usual, which was reassuring to me in some way. But I know that it's only a matter of time until the remnants of her little-baby speak are gone. I look forward to all the funny toddler things that she'll have to say, but tonight I'm missing the days of "la la".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story.
Yesterday "wa wa," Today "Wa ter," Tomorrow "H2O?" ;-)
'hope Lori is home safe and sound.
Love,
Grandpa Clark

Anonymous said...

She is growing up right before your eyes. Hey! Who else did that? YOU!!! And you grew up nicely.

3dingsandadog said...

I remember the days when Kyleigh use to say "tomighter" for tomorrow...and then one day it was gone..:( One day she fit into the shopping cart and the next she was walking beside me...time flies..enjoy the moment...as little as they may seem.. and about those teenage years...Double Gasp...I rather Kyleigh be an adult! LOL

not2brightGRAM said...

Giving a little hope...

I loved my kids' teenage years! (Some more than others)

I miss those times!