Wednesday, November 12, 2008

To my soon-to-be 3 year old...

My dearest Ellie,

In just a few hours, you will be three years old. I cannot believe how fast the past three years have gone by. It is hard for me to remember that three years ago today, we had not met you. It is hard for me to remember that three years ago tomorrow, we saw and held you for the first time. Your birth was an amazing event and one of the greatest moments of my life.

Part of me is so sad that you aren't a baby anymore. I miss the funny ways that you used to say certain words. I miss your chubby legs. I will always miss the days that your greatest joy was being held in my arms.

But I can't describe the joy I experience in watching you grow and become your own person. You are developing into the kindest, most loving little girl. You treasure your friends and are already empathetic to their feelings. If you sense that something is bothering me, you ask me if I'm okay. And when I say that I am, you ask me if I'm sure. You hate when we're disappointed in something that you've done and you are so quick to apologize for any problem. You want everyone to be happy, but you also stand up for yourself to make sure that you are happy, too. I am proud when I watch how you treat other people. I am also proud of how you treat yourself.

What I most love seeing is the relationship you share with your sister. You give your love freely and completely to Audrey. Even when you don't think we're watching, we see the kisses and hugs you give her and we hear the sweet things you say to her when she cries. Audrey is the luckiest girl to have a big sister like you.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow, Ellie! Enjoy all the celebrations, my girl. Happy birthday! I love you so much.

Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELLIE!!!!

It was so great to see you all these past 5 days! I had a lot of fun! Thanks so much for your hospitality (and the great bagels!!).

Love you all!!

Jess