Sunday, March 30, 2008

The big girl bed

As a part of our transition from one baby to two, we've been working on a lot of big girl things with Ellie, like saying goodbye to binky (a slow process that we're still in the midst of), potty training, and walking more instead of being carried. Today Ellie took a great leap into the big girl world by taking a nap in her new toddler bed. We have had the bed sitting in her room in pieces for a couple of weeks and finally today after two trips to Home Depot, we put it together. We moved all her furniture around to accommodate the addition to her room so now we're ready for two little girls to share it!

Ellie was very excited to take her nap in the new bed. We had no problems at all getting her to sleep there this afternoon. She was so quiet that I checked on her after 20 minutes and she was in the same position we had left her in, sound asleep. When she woke up, she called for me and was so proud of her accomplishment. She'll still be sleeping in the crib at night for a couple weeks more until we can get all of her furniture bolted to the wall.

It's so fun to see her growing up before our eyes but also a little sad as she moves from being a baby to a big girl. Lucky for me, she still wanted to sit on my lap and snuggle for 20 minutes after she woke up!




"I really like my new bed!"




Mama explaining to Ellie at nap time how the big girl bed works... "You don't get out of the bed. When you wake up or if you need something, just call me and I'll come get you."

Night night, big girl!

4 comments:

johnna said...

Ellie IS getting to be such a big girl! And what a memorable occassion to have a new bed! She will feel so big and so proud to have her little sis take over her crib. We are witnessing a great event in its beginning.
I want to tell you that I remember moving out of my crib and into a twin bed. This will always be a fond memory for Ellie.
Love,
Grandpa Clark

Anonymous said...

Can you believe it!!!! She is such a big girl. Now the fun begins with her getting in and out (mostly out) at will. It's going to be fun!!!!

Jess(ica) said...

What a fun transition! And that bed is adorable! =)

3dingsandadog said...

How cute! I'm sure the two girls will have many fun years in that room together!