Sunday, August 12, 2007

Got genes?


(By JPC)

If you were to come to our house these days, you would probably be surprised at the state of disarray. There are dry clothes hanging on the drying rack, waiting to be folded and put away. There are piles of dirty laundry on the floor waiting to just begin the process. There are messy beds, messy carpets, messy bathrooms, and one somewhat messy baby.

And last, but certainly not least, are the hundreds of flash cards (500 is our best guess), pages and pages of notes, files and files of lecture materials, and more genetics books than I thought I owned.

The reason for all this is my upcoming board exams. There is so much to learn and regurgitate that, although I have studied most days of the week for the past several months, I have now been off of work since Wednesday. I am studying 10-12 hours a day and am awfully sick of it. Who knew that 46 tiny chromosomes could generate so much?!?! I've seen and analyzed my own - they didn't look like much under the microscope! :-)

My exams are Wednesday and Thursday of this week so I am in the home stretch. And I think that my family is almost as relieved as I am. It breaks my heart every time I tell Ellie that I'm going upstairs and she pouts but says goodbye and gives me a hug. And Lori has had to bear the brunt of child care and upkeep of our home.

After the exams are over, I have a 3-4 month waiting period before I find out the results, but we have celebration plans for this weekend. No more studying! We're planning a babysitter for Friday night so we can go out for a celebratory dinner and then we're going out of town for Saturday night while Ellie stays with Mimi and Boppa.

I can't wait for this to be over! I will be a much saner and less distracted version of myself come Thursday afternoon!

5 comments:

Four peas in a pod said...

Hey wait!!! You said "Lori has had to carry the brunt end of housework", but that was after a paragraph of how much the home was in dissary!!! I thus protest! (kitchen hasn't been this clean in a long time!!)

Anyway, it is true things are NOT the same without the two of us. I do not know how single parents do it. I just don't.

We miss you Mama! Can't wait to have you back!

GOOD LUCK ON WED/THURS. I KNOW you will do fine!

LPC

3dingsandadog said...

Good luck Jana! Even though I doubt you need it! I know how hard you have been studying! You definitely deserve a night or two to celebrate!

Ps: At least there is an excuse that your house is messy. Mine is, and I have no excuse! LOL

Anonymous said...

Good luck and best wishes, Jana. I know you will do fine. Yes, celebrate!

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of you and all that you have accomplished! You will definitely do well on the exam. How could 70% of the people taking the exam be smarter than you? I don't think so! Hey, I know YOUR gene pool, and it's pretty good!!! It will be great when you come back from your visit in Study World! We love you!

Anonymous said...

It is now Thursday afternoon so I'm assuming you both are more relaxed now than you have been in a while. Hope so, anyway.
Have a wonderful weekend! And know that you have done your very best, Jana, and that you have done very, very well. After all, you are Pat's daughter, right?
Also, remember how much you and Lori and Ellie are loved by all the family and friends that surround and support you in your life's journey.

We are so proud of you,
SueSue and Kendall